Although it may not be on your mind during your daily commute, car accidents are the leading cause of injury and death in the United States. The results of a motor vehicle accident can immediately affect your physical, mental, and financial well-being, and, in the worst-case scenarios, have the potential to continue to plague you for years to come.
At Ellis & Thomas, PLLC, we are proven trial lawyers ready to stand up to the individuals and insurance companies that want to minimize your situation. Our goal is to ensure that you’re adequately compensated to the fullest extent the law allows. Schedule your free consultation at our Houston office today. We proudly represent clients throughout the area, including those in Missouri City, Pasadena, Channelview, Pearland, and League City, Texas.
Steps to Take After a Car Accident
The moments following a car accident are some of the most important. It can be easy to let the instant shock distract you from collecting the information you’ll need later for your case. If you are physically capable, be sure to follow these steps:
- Get Medical Attention. Even if you feel fine, it is crucial that you’re examined by a medical team. Any injuries they find should be added to your insurance claim.
- Collect Necessary Information. The more you’re able to gather, the better chance you have at recovering damages. Make sure you get copies of all police reports, medical records, photos of the scene and the damaged vehicles, as well as any witnesses’ statements and contact information.
- Document Your Personal Account. While it’s still fresh in your mind, write down a record of what happened before, during, and after the accident. Smaller details like your speed can quickly be forgotten, but they can drastically affect your insurance claim.
- File an Insurance Claim. Many insurance companies have strict timelines on when car accident claims can be submitted. The sooner you report your accident, the better.
- Hire an Attorney. Here’s where we come in. If your insurance provider isn’t offering you fair compensation, a car accident attorney can fight on your behalf to help you seek the outcome you need to move forward.
If you’ve been a victim of a car accident, you’ve suffered enough. Let us handle your unforgiving insurance provider. You deserve top-notch legal counsel to help you argue for fair financial compensation, especially if you endured a serious injury.
Your Road to Recovery Starts Today
Types of Car Accidents We Handle
From fender benders to totaled vehicles, we’ve truly seen it all. No matter how major your car wreck was, we’re committed to pursuing a favorable result. At Ellis & Thomas, PLLC, we represent clients whose car accidents were caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Excessive speeding
- Road rage
- Texting while driving
- Falling asleep at the wheel
- Head-on collisions
- Drunk driving
- Side impact collisions
- Vehicle rollovers
Do any of these situations sound familiar? Get in touch with us. We’re ready to go to bat for you as you seek your desired outcome.
Determining Fault in Texas Car Accidents
In order to receive the maximum amount of compensation, you need to prove you are not responsible for your accident. When it comes to deciding fault in an auto accident, Texas law abides by proportionate responsibility, a modified comparative fault standard. Proportionate responsibility means the damages you’re awarded—if any—could be reduced if you are found partially at fault for your accident.
As an example, imagine you were responding to a text message when another driver ran a red light, T-boning you at an intersection. You could be found 30% responsible for the accident, and therefore for your injuries. Your original $100,000 settlement could be then reduced to $70,000.
If you are found to be more than 51% liable for your injuries, Texas law would prohibit you from collecting any compensation.
Why Work With Us?
As dedicated car accident attorneys, we’ll be with you throughout the entirety of your case. We provide our clients with personal, experienced legal advice when they need it most. To get started on a path forward, contact our office in Houston. We’ll set you up with a free initial consultation so you can start telling us your story. At Ellis & Thomas, PLLC, we serve clients in Missouri City, Pasadena, Channelview, Pearland, and League City, Texas. Get in touch with our team today.
Were you recently involved in a Houston-area car accident? Don’t suffer any longer. Contact our skilled team of attorneys at Ellis & Thomas, PLLC. We’re prepared to hold careless parties responsible and fight for the compensation you need. If you live in Missouri City, Pasadena, Channelview, Pearland, or League City, Texas, schedule a free consultation today.
Call For A Free Consultation